Thursday, April 22, 2010

Go, Go Garter!

A long time ago in a Hyatt far, far away... I went to a bridal show. In and for the County of Monterey, actually. I don't really recall why I went, as I'm not getting married in Monterey, but I think it had something to do with the "free gift" they were handing out to attendees. I have a serious penchant for free things, it seems.

Well, luckily for me, the free gift was a garter!

Score, much? And I do highly recommend the Monterey bridal show for any central coast brides. They hold it twice a year, and the cake and food samples were delicious.

Anyway, let's make this freebie a little more Penga-esque, shall we?

First I ripped off all the fluffy on the top. I don't really know what those pearl-stick things are supposed to be anyway.


Next, I sewed some red and black ribbon around the whole thing.


Then I glued on some loopy-bows over the ribbon ends.


And the fun part, a little strawberry applique!

At first I was going to use an anime charm. But then I realized that we'd be tossing this garter, and my charm would be given away to some random guy. And being an utterly selfish, hoarding-collector-type, I couldn't allow that to happen. The strawberry will have to do!


The re-designed garter!

The lace is cheap with fraying ends, but I can't really argue with free. And I don't think the guys will care much anyway. So overall, not bad for twenty minutes of time.

If you are wearing one, are you adding any personal touches to your garter?

3 comments:

  1. haha it looks way better!! very cute! I like the red/black ribbon part!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job with it! I still need to purchase mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you changed it up! It's so cute. You are so crafty, girl!

    ReplyDelete