Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Floral Forum II

Entering into another conversation about florists and flowers with my mother, she wisely asked what my vision was, knowing full-well I don't know two things about flowers. That's why I called her. After all, she used to work at a nursery.

On the topic of centerpieces -

Me: "Something short and sprawly and lush! Lots of green, with red flowers interspersed!"

Mom:"Are we still after that tropical feel?"

Me: "Yes, but not beach tropical. More like, rain forest tropical. Prehistoric. FERNS! Oh, let's have some ferns!"

Mom: "What kind of ferns? There's many kinds. What kind do they have in Hawaii?"

Me: "Oh, I don't know, we'll just go to home depot once we're there and find out. And then afterwards we cans eat them!"

(Click images for sources, as always)


Consider the conversation effectively over.

In any case, I think I really do want some ferns.

A big leafy fern (there's only a million bajillion different species!) in a short pot
(A Maidenhair fern..so cute and delicate!)

(The E.T. Fern...so prehistoric!)

(The Lemon Button Fern...Also pretty cute!)


Maybe a few fiddle-head ferns thrown in



Then interspersed with some red flowers
(Some adorable baby red wax ginger)


Simple and effective? It's hard to say without putting something together first. And I still don't want to make my own, but maybe this is something easy (and cheap?) for a florist to do?

Oh, and the best part about using potted plants - The Hawaii guests can take the ferns home afterwards, and eat them with their cats! (No joke - you CAN eat ferns.)

(I wonder what they taste like?)


Are you using a floral centerpiece? What kind of flowers/plants are you using?

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I had no idea there were so many kinds of beautiful ferns! I loooove number 1 with the red flowers!!

    Are you planning to post pics of your centerpiece after the wedding? I'd love to see them!
    -cinemaparadiso (from the 'bee!)

    ReplyDelete