Sunday, June 20, 2010

Parasol Carousel

During one of many recent internet-shopping-splurges, I snagged a box of 12 plain parasols. The idea being that I would paint them, and then use them for props or shade throughout the wedding day. Even though our wedding will be indoors, we'll still be taking pictures outside, so I think they'll get some use.

A big fan of the "thank you" parasol, which can later be used for thank you cards, I decided an expression of gratitude would be a good place to start.

I printed out some letters, and after roughly cutting them out, I taped them to the backside of the opened parasol. Although, of course, shortly after starting the project, Penga-Mom asked - "Why didn't you write "mahalo" instead?"

Yeah, I'm pretty sure my mind just checked out completely. Oh well. Let's continue.
I traced each letter onto the front side of the parasol, using a dull-pointed pencil. I may have poked a hole in the thin paper anyway though, it's tough!


Now it's painting time! I used simple acrylic paint, and a way-too-cheap plastic paintbrush.

The bristles really did not want to behave, hence the splattery lines on the top of that "a".
With a little patience, I managed to go back and try to smooth the lines out. Penga-Bro's snake was getting curious by all the action.

And..Done!


It's fun, but I think next time I would not try and arc the letters around the parasol. I've looked at some pro-parasols, and it seems that the words are usually written straight across. Much less awkward that way. And I'd also invest in a higher-quality paint brush.

For kicks, I tried to free-hand some sakura flowers. It didn't come out so hot though, again mainly due to the fact that the paintbrush hated me.


There's a lot of parasols left - though I haven't figured out what else to paint on them. We gave some of the parasols away, too. A couple to a friend of mine, one to my sister - there's just no way I have time for all 12 of them.

Are you planning on utilizing the parasol for some decorative shade?

7 comments:

  1. That's a really awesome project. I love the thank you cards, and this is a more creative than holding up signs that say "Thank" and "You"! I think that it came out really well, though I totally understand your frustration about using a poor brush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made five parasols too. Well not made, but embellished. I wrote just married on my aqua one and the letters L O V E on each of the 4 white ones. My ladies will spell out the word love when they hold them up. I used a sharpie to pint them in though. I was just too scared to use paint. Yours look great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice :) If I end up having an outdoor wedding in the summer like I hope, I plan on using parasols for shade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks awesome! It looks like it was printed on, way to go Penga!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so pretty. Great job !!!
    I love parasols but I am getting married indoors at night, so I don't think there will be a way to incorporate them :-(
    ~lilian~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wanted one! But didn't have time or energy to make one. Yours look fantastic though and I think the curvy letters are just fine :)

    ReplyDelete