Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sewn Together: Cakie!

I loved just about everything regarding our lovely four-tiered and whip-cream covered cake. It's scrumptious layers of strawberry shortcake, mango passionfruit, red velvet and chocolate ganache made with light and fluffy spongecake.
The intricate op-amp diagram piped onto the corners just like Sak had designed.


The way our little power poles spiraled up the cake to the top.

Keroro and Tamama sitting together on a red heart under a lone LED streetlamp.

I loved everything.

Kristy, our amazing cake coordinator from Satura Cakes, dropped off Sak's "baby" to the venue, along with three sheet cakes of Mango Passionfruit, tiramisu and strawberry shortcake. We planned on 120 servings for 100 guests.
Our guests were really fascinated with our light-up cake. Even to the point of making Sak come to the microphone to "explain the significance".

He did his best to not turn our reception into a lecture on circuitry.

...After class was over, it was time to cut the cake.
That's good and all, except after we cut it, I only saw a plate nearby, and no fork or spoon with which to serve my husband.
(Photo by family) "Hmmm. What to do?"
So I fed him with the knife.
(Photo by family)
My family, no doubt ashamed of my behavior, say I look like the poster child for "bridezilla". Is this how my future grandchildren are to remember me? Oh well.

Sak, for some reason, decided to make me look extra evil. He walked around until he found a spoon, fed me, and then dabbed at my face with a napkin.
(photo by family)
Well, I guess he wanted to make it clear that he is a gentlemen and not a crude, knife pointing maniac.(I was told later we were supposed to have fed each other with our fingers. My bad.)

An awkward silence fell for a little bit after that exchange. I think people fully expected us to do some cake smashing next, what with the knife and all. I guess we're not the smashing type.

At the end of the night, all the sheet cakes were eaten, but our fabulous cake stood whole and uncut. I had failed to account for the large number of diabetics in attendence, and should have had a sugar-free alternative available. In any case, a friend walked up, confused. He didn't know about the sheet cakes, and was wondering what the heck he was eating, if not our big cake tower. After explaining the sheet cakes, he exclaimed that our cake "was a lie". Hardy har har.

During cleanup, we cut up the cake and started passing out huge chunks of cake to anyone still dancing around. There was a literal fight over the red velvet, I tell you. Most of it went home to family, my brother took some to share with the homeless, and all the out of town guests had enough cake to last them the rest of the trip.

We took our top tier of strawberry shortcake back to the hotel too. But once we got there, and found some cold-cut sandwiches and poke in the fridge from that morning; it suddenly sounded tastier than cake.
And thus, the story of how we failed to eat more than one bite of our wedding cake, which I was so-very-much looking forward to eating.

Luckily, there's a Satura Cake's here in Palo Alto, so maybe we'll get to eat our strawberry shortcake on our anniversary or something.

In summary -
1) Don't feed your new husband with a knife.
2) TRY to eat some of your cake on your wedding!

(Unless otherwise noted, all images by Terra Photography)

Our wedding week in review:

3 comments:

  1. Can we hang out at Satura when I come back?!?! Mango passionfruit and chocolate ganache will do. :]

    Yeah... we didn't have plates or forks either. Tim had to go fetch some. No music was playing. It was awkward. Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That photo is awesome. I now want you to crop it, blow it up and then remind him not to mess with you. Ever.

    Also, we don't remember eating more than our bites of cake but we got a local company to make the cake so love that we can get it whenever we'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love that photo of you with the knife. And my husband (an electrical engineer) loves the cake, too. That's so nice that your guests all had a lovely snack to last the the rest of the trip.

    ReplyDelete